Recognising and supporting children with SEN
Children with special educational needs (SEN) have the right to be educated alongside others and the right not to be at a disadvantage because of their needs when accessing services. With the right support and well-planned provision, children with SEN can thrive and achieve their full potential. In this short course you will explore the topic of special educational needs within a childcare setting. Learn more about Down’s syndrome, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Cerebral Palsy and Asperger’s Syndrome as examples of common learning disabilities creating special educational needs, as well as the key legislation governing practice in this area. Discuss the role of the setting SENCO and how you too can understand, support and provide for individual children with SEN in your care.
This course is intended for practitioners working in a range of childcare settings.
- You will learn that various pieces of legislation provide legal rights for disabled children and give responsibilities to providers of services for children and young people
- You will learn about ‘child- and young person-led’ models of delivery where the service is influenced by the people using it
- You will learn that, as with all children, observation is a key starting point in making an assessment of children’s needs, learning, and development
Advantages of this course
- It is only relatively recently that special needs and disability has been seen as an equal opportunities and inclusion issue. Practitioners need to be aware of and implement the requirements of the many pieces of legislation which have been enacted within the last 30 years.
- This course offers information and links to the various pieces of legislation which provide legal rights for disabled people, and to the current SEND Code of Practice
- You will also have access to invaluable information for those dealing with some of the most frequently encountered special educational needs
- Additional activities encourage you to reflect on your learning?
- There is also suggested extended reading that gives both practical information and links to websites to expand knowledge
On successful completion of this course, you will have the option of purchasing a CACHE certificate. This certificate must not be confused with nationally regulated qualification achievement.
Disclaimer statement: CACHE is a trading name of NCFE (registered company number 02896700) and CACHE; Council for Awards in Care, Health and Education; and NNEB are registered trademarks owned by NCFE. CACHE has exercised reasonable care and skill in endorsing this programme, and makes no representation, express or implied, with regard to the continued accuracy of the information contained in this programme. CACHE does not accept any legal responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions from the programme or the consequences thereof.
Endorsement statement: CACHE is a trading name of NCFE (registered company number 02896700) and CACHE; Council for Awards in Care, Health and Education; and NNEB are registered trademarks owned by NCFE. These programmes have been reviewed by a Subject Specialist in childcare and are endorsed by CACHE, they are not a regulated qualification.
Online Courses Refund Policy
By completing your registration for an Online Course and making a payment of full or installment fee, you agree to the following Terms and Conditions:
Under this refund policy and under guidance of the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013, you have the right to cancel your booking at any time at the following terms:
1) Our refund policy is as follows: our cancellation period is 14 days. Any purchase cancelled within 14 days of payment will be eligible for a full refund (unless you have started the course).
2) Once you begin the course, you are no longer eligible for a full refund, even if you ask for a refund within 14 days of payment.
3) Once a course has been redeemed, we cannot grant a refund.
4) All refund requests should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
5) Any refund will take up to 30 days to process.